Following elections for executive positions at Radio Amateurs of Canada,Geoff Bawden, VE4BAW will become the President of RAC on January 1, 2010. Following the announcement of the election results Bob Cooke, VE3BDB submitted his resignation as President of RAC effective October 31, 2009. Bob had stepped in at a difficult time for Radio Amateurs of Canada and allowed his name to stand as president. The board of directors appreciated his efforts over the last while to guide Radio Amateurs of Canada through a difficult period. Also following the announcement of the election results directors Noel Marcel, VE2BR, director from Quebec and Geoff Smith, VA3GS, director from south Ontario tendered their resignations effective October 31, 2009.
So as we await Geoff, VE4BAW’s induction to the office of president, First VP Ian MacFarquhar, VE9IM has assumed the Presidents chair.
For those of you who don’t know Geoff, I (VE3HG) had a great conversation with him over the weekend and he seems like a pretty good guy to have leading RAC. His bio goes on…and on but here in brief are some of the highlights:
- Head of Manitoba’s Workplace Safety and Health Division
- Chair of the Canadian Association of Labour Legislators Occupational Safety and Health sub-committee
- Chair of the Hazardous Materials Information Management Commission
- Assistant Deputy Minister of Property Management with Government Services
- Assistant Deputy Minister of Accommodation Services
- and most recently General Manager of the Manitoba Housing Authority
As for ham radio (When did you have time Geoff?)
- Received his amateur radio certification in 2004
- Director of the Winnipeg Amateur Radio Club
- President of the Winnipeg Amateur Radio Club (three-year term)
- His current station (which he operates mainly from his cottage near Kenora, Ont.) consists of an FT857D where he operate mainly on SSB and PSK 31 on 20 and 40 meters
Geoff will be taking office during an interesting time for amateur radio and Radio Amateurs of Canada. We wish him well.